History

The foundation stone for Dhaka Central Public Library was laid in 1954 with the Registrar of Dhaka University as part-time Librarian. Designated to be the center for the public library system in the then East Pakistan on the basis of the recommendations made by Australian Library consultant Mr. L C Key in 1955, it was opened to the public on March 22, 1958 with a stock of 10,040 books. In 1978 the library moved to its building near the Shahbag Intersection from its original building designed by pioneering Bangladeshi architect Mazharul Islam, which went on to house the Dhaka University Central Library. The Department of the Public Libraries was established with Bangladesh Central Public Library as its headquarter in 1984. Between 1980-85 UNESCO provided nearly 9.9 million Bangladeshi taka to develop the library.

History

© 2009 Central Public Library Dhaka 3 Liaquat Ave., Dhaka, 1000 Dhaka Bangladesh